Hundreds of families from all over the South Island and lower North Island stay with us completely free of charge every year so they can concentrate on what,matters most – helping their children heal.
The House in Christchurch is located just a few minutes walk from Christchurch Hospital and provides support to families of child patients up to and including the age of 21. Any family who needs to travel to Christchurch so their child can receive treatment at any Christchurch Hospital is eligible to stay.
This can include, but is not limited to:
- Families of babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Pregnant women, and their families, experiencing high risk pregnancies
- Families of children receiving mental health treatment
- Families of children receiving oncology (cancer) treatment
- Families of children with serious injuries
- Families of children undergoing surgery
What facilities are available?
In most cases, initial accommodation arrangements will be made by a Patient Travel Administrator or Social Worker at a family’s local or regional hospital. Visits can be arranged by a family directly, but proof of a hospital appointment is required.